In 1818, Eleanor Parkinson opened her confectionery shop in Philadelphia next door to a tavern bought by her husband, George, that same year. The confectionery shop was such a success that her husband soon joined her, and they created a nationally known business with an excellent reputation, particularly for ice cream. Their son James joined the family business and expanded the shop to include an elegant cafe and catering facility. James was a local celebrity known for his extravagant ice cream creations. He published an influential pamphlet for the U.S. centennial celebration that defined American cuisine in new ways, and was a cofound of the first professional culinary journal in the United States, the Confectioners’ Journal. He served as editor and wrote a column for the journal until his death in 1895.